Thursday, February 12, 2015

"sigh"

Reading Michael Booth's The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia.

Bought for my Kindle off Amazon.com, even though I'm in London, because Amazon fought me tooth and nail when I tried to change the location of my Kindle and buy off Amazon.co.uk.

This turns out to mean I get an Americanized version of the book.

"Not all nationalism is bad, for a start," he told me over the phone from his home in Sheffield, England.

I spent some time in Vermont. I sometimes explained that I normally lived in Berlin. I would then need to specify: Berlin, Germany. (There is a Berlin, Vermont.) I am trying to imagine the circumstances in which I would not go berserk if required to specify this in a book destined for publication.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the US, I linked my Amazon account to the address of a London hotel and was able to buy from Amazon.co.uk. I never had any problems, though the address still comes up as a shipping option if I'm placing an order.

Scott said...

The best solution I can offer is that you should move to Hawaii.